WHAT IS CLOUD COMPUTING ACTUALLY – OUR FUTURE
What is Cloud Computing ?
- Use of Service from hardware and software resources delivered by network or over the network – Its Services
- Hardware : servers, storage , cooling and networking
- Software: any applications or program
Characteristics of cloud computing
- Delegation of overhead – outsourcing
- Modular and compartmentalized
- Elastic – dynamic allocation
- Resilient – Easy replacement
- illusion of infinite supply
- Resource Pooling
- On-demand and User defined
- Resources are measured and Utility computing
Comparable to Electrical utility :
- Service – Electricity
- Delivered by Network (power grid)
- Delegation of responsibilities (infrastructure, production and maintenance)
History of Cloud Computing :
1950: Mainframe computer available for academia and corporation use via thin clients
2006: Amazon initiated products – AWS to provide cloud computing to external customers.
2008: Eucalyptus became the first open-source, AWS API-compatible platform for deploying private clouds.
2008: OpenNebula the first open-source software for deploying private and hybrid clouds, and for the federation of clouds.
Basic Working of Cloud :
Cloud divided into 2 different parts:
- Front End : We are using it – End user computer and their application
- Back End : We want to use it – Server, Clusters, processor , storage ,etc
Eg:- Gmail – Back End : Huge number of Database and Mail Server and Front End: Our Gmail’s Beautiful Web Based GUI
Cloud Computing Advantages and Disadvantages :
- Less Expensive : Only pay per Usage
- Scalable : One click to increase Resources and Hardwares
- Flexible : Click to Change anything for any where
- Elastic : One Key Press to Spin 100′s of Server at a time
- Security : Our data at other’s place
- Data Transfer charges extra : Data Bandwidth charges by ISP
- Migration could be difficult : One SP to other need same base support
- Must have Internet connection : Data on a Cloud, and Cloud is Internet, so need net connection
Cloud Computing Application for Us and Business :
- Featured Cloud Hosting : Windows Azure , Amazon Web Services , GoDaddy.com
- Featured Managed Hosting : Page.ly , CloudWays , WP Engine
- Featured Storage and Backup : DropBox, SkyDrive , Google Drive, SugarSync
- Featured Cloud Apps : HootSuite , Easy Projects , Marketo Analytics
Cloud Service Providers :
Service Providers : Who manage cloud for us like hardware, software, networking, management, backup, etc
Big B of Service Providers :
- Amazon Web Services
- Microsoft Azure
- Google Apps Engine
List of Major Player in Cloud Computing :
||selling the spare capacity of Amazon’s massive server infrastructure
||developing energy-efficient processors and solid-state hard drives for cloud systems
||develops software to help companies create and manage cloud systems in their data centers
||launch of Sun’s Open Cloud Platform
||lead for Google App Engine that hosts and offers services for Web-based software
||Oversees the Blue Cloud series of products
||cloud-based system that unifies the software across devices, from mobile phones to television screens
||influences the design of critical cloud hardware
Cloud Computing service models :
- Primary service models recognized by International Telecommunication Union
- Software as-a-Service (SaaS)
- Infrastructure as-a-Service (IaaS)
- Platform as-a-Service (PaaS)
Software As-a-Service (SaaS)
- Application software installed on cloud infrastructure and clients uses software and feel as its installed locally on clients system.
- cloud service provider manage infrastructure and platform
- SaaS is sometimes referred to as “on-demand software”
- Simple Goal : No need to purchase complete year license, pay only when you use.
- SaaS allows a business the potential to reduce IT operational costs by outsourcing hardware and software maintenance and support to the cloud provider
In the SaaS model, cloud providers install and operate application software in the cloud and cloud users access the software from cloud clients. Cloud users do not manage the cloud infrastructure and platform where the application runs. This eliminates the need to install and run the application on the cloud user’s own computers, which simplifies maintenance and support.
Drawback of SaaS : is that the users’ data are stored on the cloud provider’s server. As a result, there could be unauthorized access to the data.
Infrastructure As-a-Service (IaaS)
This is very interesting, its like you have complete network infrastructure and system resources – without having it
And you can scale it or change it, with one mouse click
- IaaS provided Computer or any Server and other resources on the Cloud.
- It can provide physical System or Virtual machines (using hypervisor such as KVM or Xen)
- Other Resources such as a virtual-machine disk images, raw (block) and file-based storage, firewalls, load balancers, IP addresses, etc.
- In IaaS model, it our duty means client, to install OS or other software on it and maintain it, Cloud Service Provider only charge for the amount of resources allocated and consumed.
- Amazon EC2
- VPS – virtual private server
Platform As-a-Service (SaaS)
Are you a programmer or tester, then this is the perfect Server for you.
Think, any where and any time, and can able to test your programmer or develop your application, even on the mobile phone also, without need to installed interpreter or compiler on your device, As your code is executed on the cloud (PaaS)
- Cloud providers deliver a computing platform , typically including operating system, programming language execution environment, database, and web server.
- Application developers can develop and run their software solutions on a cloud platform without the cost and complexity of buying and managing the underlying hardware and software layers.
- Cloud SP has to manage software and hardware to manage and match your application demand.
- The consumer also controls software deployment and configuration settings. The provider provides the networks, servers, storage, and other services.
We are programmer , and think only programming or ideas, no need to worry about resources to installed or managed.
- AppScale (Google App Engine)
- AWS Elastic Beanstalk
What we get and Review of Cloud Computing?
- Remotely Delivering Services : Think, you are on the way traveling, and in your pocket means from your mobile, you have your complete infrastructure, all server, networking, hard disk, OS, software – for me !! wow !!
- Hiding Complexity : How networking done, how OS installed , how router , firewall, switches managed, we no need to worry about , they all managed in cloud by service providers, We only need – To Use It.
- Reduce Cost and OverHead : Think, you only want to run or test on small program, but for that, we have to purchase complete system, OS license, software license for life time or a year, But in Cloud , pay as much as you use , Per Time Usage.
- Focus on Developing core products – not managing resources. only do that – You Want.